DiAnn Mills @diannmills
"Expect An Adventure"
Writers are encouraged to attend writing conferences, but what are the guidelines? How do writers choose which conference works best for them? Is there a list of guidelines to eliminate the confusion?
Let’s take a look at writing conferences and how these events can benefit a writer’s career.
What are a Few Considerations in Choosing a Conference?
· Faculty—teachers and speakers
· Size of the conference that fits the writer’s needs
· Focus: craft, platform, social media, publishing, or all-inclusive
· Classes offered and the method of instruction
· Level of writer’s skill
· Method of instruction
· Contest for unpublished and published writers
· Opportunities to pitch writing projects
· Reputation in the industry
· Classes recorded and available to purchase at the conference
· Award ceremony or banquet
Why Attend a Writing Conference?
1. To add publishing business knowledge to the writer’s storehouse.
2. To network with agents, editors, and other writers.
3. To pitch a project to an agent or editor.
4. To find a home for a writing project.
5. To build a writer’s self-confidence and enthusiasm.
6. To explore other genres.
7. To receive constructive feedback.
8. To secure a critique partner or writer’s group.
See Part 2 March 27.
We will talk about Type of Conferences and Where You Can Learn About Conferences.
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. She is a storyteller and creates action-packed, suspense-filled novels to thrill readers. Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awards; and been finalists for the RITA, Daphne Du Maurier, Inspirational Readers’ Choice, and Carol award contests.
DiAnn is a founding board member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, a member of Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, Mystery Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, and International Thriller Writers. She is the director of the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference, Mountainside Retreats: Marketing, Speakers, Nonfiction and Novelist with social media specialist Edie Melson where she continues her passion of helping other writers be successful. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country.
Connect with DiAnn here: www.diannmills.com