Pages

September 13, 2018

Writing with 9/11 and Hurricane Florence on Your Mind



By Annette Cole Mastron, Communications Director for Southern Writers Magazine


I saw these statistics on Facebook the other day, and they struck me. “As a reminder, 17 years ago, this past Tuesday, 246 people caught morning flights. 2,606 people prepared for work. 343 firefighters prepared for their morning shift. 60 police officers prepared for morning patrol. 8 paramedics prepared for the morning shift of saving lives. None of them saw past 10:00 AM on Sept 11, 2001.” In one single moment life was never the same for those souls and the world. Something I can never forget when 9-11 rolls around each year. I will never forget.

My friend Nancy is a high school school teacher. She posted on Facebook this post. “In my class today,(9-11-18) my “Do Now” was simply, list 10 facts about 9/11. This is what I got from one student:

1. got up
2. I took a shower
3. I brushed my teeth
4. I got dressed
5. I got on the bus
6. I ate breakfast again at school
7. I went to my first period class
8. I took a test
9. I came to 6th period
10. I’m now in Ms. Stephenson’s class.
Earth to students. I simply told the child I was sorry for not being more specific. I told him I needed the facts from 09/11/2001. He complied. I re-graded his paper.”

I commented to Nancy about her post. “But you know he has a point. The victims of 9/11 did the first 4 things maybe did #5 & 6 and #7 went to work. They had no idea what was going to happen nor did the world. It’s sobering to consider how for the victims 9-11-01, was just another day. Be grateful for each day we have on this little blue planet.”

This year in Minnesota at a 9/11 memorial tribute an eagle landed atop the memorial. It brought a tear to my eye. Amazing. Here’s a link if you missed the video. 

Humans are a resilient species. We may be knocked down by events that occur out of our control. However, we can control how we react and strive to create a normalcy in your routine. If you stop writing after an event, set a time to write every day and just start. Like the student’s list above make a list to get you back into a routine.

Currently, the United States is facing a direct hit from Hurricane Florence. This event stands to negatively affect millions of people. Some of these people in the storm’s path are authors whose books we all read. While fearing the worst, we pray for the best. I do know from the years following 9/11, we humans will return to a new normalcy after this hurricane. 

May God be with those in the Hurricane’s path. While we will never forget any horrific event that occurs in our lives, getting back into a routine can help us move forward.

When your routine stops because of things out of your control, how do you get your routine back?





No comments:

Post a Comment