Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Has Sprung...Has Your Writing Sprung?



By Annette Cole Mastron, Communications Director for Southern Writers Magazine


Yesterday's weather was an invigorating start to Spring. There is no turning back the calendar. Spring arrived as scheduled. Hibernation time is over. Winter is over. 

As I'm writing this post, two birds are chirping their hearts out just outside my sunny desk window. It's as if their tune signals "wake up and get moving". In Spring, more than any other season, it's time to awaken your brain. Get all those words you have been mulling over onto paper. 

Signs of spring are evident everywhere. Memphis's cityscape has sprung to life, seemingly overnight. Tulip, Dogwood, and Bartlett Pear trees are in full bloom. Sunny yellow Forsythia bushes burst open in all their beauty. Buttercups and surprise lilies appear through the dead drab winter grass. The Spring rebirth reminds me that new beginnings abound. Is it time to renew your writing?

One of the easiest ways to renew your writing is to stop your current piece. Set it aside, temporarily. Yes, we all have deadlines but hear me out. Let your current project rest for just a little bitty bit. Now, start a new piece. Enter a short story contest. Do something different. You may be astonished by the results. When you hit the submit button, go back to your winter project. Those problem areas that had you in a winter slump may magically disappear and spring you forward to completion.

Yes, I know not everyone has weather that is Spring like. In fact the local TV weatherman just announced our area is under a winter snow storm watch for tomorrow. In the words of Mark Twain, "In the Spring, I have counted 136 different kinds of weather inside of 24 hours." Snow may return, but I know Spring is here. I'm taking my own advice and writing a 2000 word short story. 

Let's face it. The weather may not cooperate with the fact that Spring is here. As Henry Van Dyke stated, "The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month." But know it's coming so plan to be sprung by Spring this year. Change your writing project which will recharge the winter hibernation of your brain.

"Spring is the time of plans and projects." -Leo Tolstoy in "Anna Karenina"




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your site. You have some really great articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love to write some material for your blog in exchange
for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested.
Regards!

My blog post :: http://www.oilsandsnetwork.ca/blog/89307/using-a-furnishings-relocating-corporation-for-your-business-go/

Anonymous said...

This co-ordination produces synergistic effect of bedroom furnishing
and bedroom d. You must also look at applying laminates (for example Abstract Laminates) onto the cabinet
surfaces to ensure that it looks amazing and lasts longer.
As youngsters we had rocket beds, Barbie beds, Star Wars beds and a lot of far more.


Here is my weblog - girls room decoration ideas

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in
a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us
beneficial information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!




buy vivexin

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do think this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;) I will revisit
once again since i have book marked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change,
may you be rich and continue to help other people.


Weight loss supplement

Anonymous said...

These are genuinely great ideas in on the topic of blogging.
You have touched some pleasant factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.




buy optimal stack