Marketing? Most of us hate it. But it is mandatory if we are publishing books. After all, who knows the book better than the person who wrote it?
Promoting our book will take energy, time, and money. But it must be done. Also, we must create a plan as to how we are going to market our book. This is a business. We need to be able to draw readers (customers) to our book (product) like any other business.
This plan needs to show us who our readers are; where our readers are; what our readers want to know and how much money can we spend on marketing venues.
1. We must determine who our reader is.
This information is most important. This shows us who to
2. Where do we find our readers?
This shows us where to market.
3. Do they know what our book is about?
We tell them why they will want to read our book.
4. What is our budget to market our book?
This tells us the amount of money we can spend.
1. The readers who read our book genre.
2. They may be a specific age group.
3. People who have interest in the subject matter.
*Did we have a target audience in mind when we were writing the book?
Where the readers are.
1. Check out blog post of authors who write the same genre.
2. Join on-line reader groups in the genre.
3. Your own email lists. This is an excellent source.
4. Social Media – yours and other authors.
5. Newsletters – yours and other authors.
6. Create your own Podcasts.
7. Create your own You Tube Channel.
Describing our book.
1. We tell a reader why they would want our book.
2. What it will do for them.
Setting our budget.
1. Check where people spend their time online.
2. Find out the cost to advertise on these sites.
3. Determine how much money we can spend on all sites or just one. Stay within our budget. If we have a small budget spend it where most of the readers spend their time. As you sell books, you can always add more to your spending budget.
Each thing we do, brings us one step closer in our endeavor to put our book in front of others to enjoy.
Susan Reichert is the founder of Southern Author Services and Editor of Suite T. Prior to this was the co-publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Southern Writers Magazine, a national magazine for authors and readers.
She is the author of Between Me and You, God’s Prayer Power and Storms in Life, numerous magazine articles, and in 9 anthology books. Speaker at writing conferences, seminars, libraries and founder of Collierville Christian Writers Group (CCWriters Group).
Reichert has a passion for writing about God in devotionals and inspirational works.
She and her husband live in Tennessee. They have four grown daughters with families of their own.
Visit Susan at: https://www.susanlreichert.com/
Member of the: DAR and First Families of Mississippi.