Pages

April 27, 2020



Curt Locklear    @CurtLock









Part 2 (To see Part 1 visit April 22)

Emulating does not mean copying. I have short stories in which I attempted to emulate the style of Ernest Hemingway. Did I copy anything? Nope! Not one jot or tittle. I read some of his works before starting each story. My stories were nothing like his in terms of plot, nor was my writing of the caliber of his, but I know the “tone” of my writing emulated, though did not match, his.

I wrote a story emulating Ray Bradbury’s style. Not a Sci-Fi or a thriller, mine was an everyday modern story. But I attempted to build my sentences and paragraph flow like his. Was I successful? Probably not, although trying to emulate the style was the impetus for writing an award-winning story. If you use this technique, make sure that you in no way copy the sentences or even come close to the plots of the writer. It needs to be YOUR STORY. It’s all about inspiration.



A very important point - writing is, for most authors, a marathon, not a foot race. If you stay at it, you’ll have a book in a year. If you only wrote a page a day, in a year, you’d have a very large book. If you write one page every third day, you’ll have a novella in a year.

Probably the most important aspect of writing is to set your goals down on paper. Tons of research on Brain Theory backs this up. Write down your goal as if it is already true. Not I want to be, but I am. For example: I have a completed book by November 30. And, I have three beta readers who have read my book by January 1. And, I write daily even if it’s only a few lines. And, I am an award-wining author.

The key is: write it down and in bright colors, and post it where you see it every day, like on your mirror. The reality is your dream is so much more likely to take place. Then when no one is looking, allow yourself to cheerlead yourself. “Biff, boom, bah, I’m a great writer!” As silly as that may sound, our brains love the enthusiasm, and it should help. If you miss your deadline by a few months, that’s totally okay.

Finally, believe in yourself. It’s okay to be lousy at writing sometimes, or maybe often, but the key is YOU ARE ALWAYS LEARNING. Even Stephen King continues to learn. Celebrate that you are writing a book. Have a party, tell your friends, join writing groups. Celebrate – you are an author!









I’m an author, banjo player, historian, and a public speaker. My kids all grew up to be teachers like their dad. I play banjo and guitar, and I tell corny jokes. I’ve won several short story contest awards. Splintered won First Place in the Laramie Awards 2019.The entire trilogy is available on Amazon and elsewhere. Asunder, Splintered, and Reconciled have unforgettable heroes and heroines for the North and the South. I love to be with people, so share your thoughts and your dreams. Read the books and tell me what you think.







1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed this informaton and found it helpful for myself. I am sure other writers will agree, we can all share with each other to help us on our writing journey. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete