Pages

July 9, 2019

You Heard it from a Digital Immigrant



By Doyne Phillips, Managing Editor for Southern Writers Magazine


While putting together our Southern Writers Magazine Summer Reading 2019 Catalog, I came across some digital challenges I had to overcome. I also was met with digital challenges some of our authors had. With each challenge we learned something. Not only did we learn, we also taught each other something. There are many steps to putting together our magazine and catalogs. Each step deals with a digital program. It is common to have the occasional digital challenge.

While wrapping up the Summer Reading 2019 Catalog I was reminded of our Social Media Director, Edie Melson’s article, Digital Immigrant or Digital Native, concerning this very thing in our May 2019 issue. Edie made this statement which has haunted me ever since I read it.

“Because I am a part of the older generation (ouch, that hurts) I hear a lot of derogatory comments about technology and the fact that no one in our generation is considered a digital native. We are classified as digital immigrants.”

I am a digital Immigrant. As a grandfather I am aware of the younger generations considered to be digital natives. It all seems to come to them easily. They learn quickly. I will say my best digital connection with my grandchildren is that of a provider, providing Wi-Fi. I cannot imagine being a grandparent without Wi-Fi and a basic knowledge of the digital world.

In my former business life, I assisted many individuals with the latest technology provided us. I worked with those in age from the 20 somethings to seniors. What I came to discover was those that wanted to learn found a way. It wasn’t always easy but once they realized the importance, they completed the task. I also found that age wasn’t the main factor to their success. Determination was.
The fact remains, if we are to do our best and achieve the most, we will need to be a part of this great way of communicating with the rest of the world. Never hesitate to ask for assistance. Other digital immigrants are ready to help and will even show off a little of what they have learned. We know the feeling of success and want others to feel that as well.

Just as this world of communication is at your fingertips, directions for its use is there as well. “How To” and “Help” programs are plentiful. They are there for your convenience to be used as needed. They were created by educators that have discovered the best way to work through it and learn the process. I was always one to learn by doing and there are programs to assist in that manner. Help is available.

As Edie Melson said in her article, each generation has their irritations and difficulties. We are no different. The truth is these can be overcome. Once they have been, we have one of the world’s greatest tools to use to achieve our purpose in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment