Pages

September 21, 2022

Kimberley Woodhouse Talks With Suite T About A Gem of Truth

Kimberley Woodhouse


When did you start writing? 


I started writing actively when my son was a baby—more than twenty-seven years ago. As a trained/professional musician—but at home with my young baby—I had all this “creative juice” flowing that I poured out onto the page in story form. I’d always loved to read and my English professor in college had even told me I was an amazing storyteller, but I didn’t take it to heart until years later after my son was born. I kept it hidden for a while, because it was just a creative outlet at the time. But then one of my friends found manuscripts I’d written and challenged me to do something about it.  

 

Who were/are two of your favorite authors?


Tracie Peterson and Colleen Coble were favorites way back before I started writing and they are still at the top of my list. They both have also poured so much into me over the years as mentors.

 

 How do you feel they influenced you?


They helped me find my voice and encouraged me to write for publication.

 

What point in your writing career did you feel like you had gone from amateur to pro?


I was excited about the possibility of being a professional when I signed with my first agent, but it wasn’t until after my first book released that I realized I was an actual author. Now, after more than thirty books, there are days I still feel like a newbie because I feel like I’m just getting started and my hope is to always improve my craft and learn more.

 

What do you look for in choosing a setting for your book?


Fascinating history or something unique about the location. There are so many different things that inspire me for settings. The people that lived there, events, and yes, the visual aspects often draw me in to write about them. When I teach at writer’s conferences, I always say that the setting needs to be strong enough to be another character.


What steps are involved in research for your book? 

Such a great question! I do months of research for each book. I go to the location, visit museums, libraries, historical societies, and talk to the people who know the most about the area and its history. And I read five to ten books (at least) on the subject matter/location. One step is to find a few people that are experts that I can email and speak with via phone. They are invaluable. 


In writing your new book, what do you feel makes it stand out?


A Gem of Truth is a unique story as it’s set at the Grand Canyon at the El Tovar Hotel. The hero is a jeweler, and the heroine is a Harvey Girl. The story also involves a legend (fictional) that goes back to when the Spanish explorers really did come to the Grand Canyon in 1540 as they were looking for the Cities of Gold. There’s suspense, romance, and what I think is a fun setting.


In your new book, what would you like the reader to walk away with? 


A sense of belonging, acceptance, and love. The thrill of the adventure and a passion for the amazing history of our country.


What is the best writing advice you have received so far? 


To make it a discipline to write. As creatives, we authors can easily get distracted or want to wait for inspiration to strike. But in the very beginning, I was given the advice to write, write, write, write, write. A little every day. Making it a discipline and a habit to focus the creative energy into the story.




Continues tomorrow: See what the worst advice was Kimberly received.



No comments:

Post a Comment