Pages

November 17, 2021

A Thank You?



Susan Reichert




“When you read a piece of writing that you admire, send a note of thanks to the author” Sherman Alexie.



Good advice? I think so. But I confess, I do not always take the time to do this.



I am sure there are others who have read good books, admired the writing, enjoyed the story, and made a mental note to let the author know. But life stepped in, and the thought forgotten. Another example of good intentions left undone.



Sherman Alexie was a poet, author, screenwriter, and filmmaker. I like to think he made this statement because he was pleased with his work and wanted to know if others were.



Aren’t we all like that though? Don’t we want to hear from others how they like our work? Even as a little child, we are that way. We proudly take that mud pie we made to show momma.



Being an adult now, I can picture my mother smiling as she looks down at my little hands holding up my mud pie, and somehow, she manages to not gasp at the mud all over my face, hands, and clothes. Instead, she brags on my pie



We all need accolades. I wish I had taken the time to let each author know how much I enjoyed their work.



We are fortunate in that we can let the author know how much we enjoy their work by leaving a review on their book.



I will try and do better and leave reviews for the books I read. I want the author to know I appreciate and enjoy their work. I hope you will too!



Susan Reichert, author of Listen Close, Between Me and You, God’s Prayer Power and Storms in Life. Published numerous magazine articles and stories in 9 anthology books. Speaker at writing conferences, seminars, and libraries.

She is the founder of Southern Author Services, and Editor of Suite T. She is the retired Editor-in-Chief of Southern Writers Magazine. Reichert has a passion for writing about God in devotionals, prayers, and inspirational works.

She and her husband live in Tennessee. They have four grown daughters with families of their own. Susan is a member of the DAR and a member of the First Families of Mississippi

Visit Susan at: https://www.susanlreichert.com/

https://twitter.com/swmeditorhttps://twitter.com/SouthrnAuthrSer

https://www.facebook.com/SusanLeeReichert, https://www.facebook.com/southernauthorservices, https://www.linkedin.com/in/susan-reichert-55922a13/ , Amazon -

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54576850-god-s-prayer-powe

6 comments:

  1. I agree, Susan, we need to encourage one another by complimenting writers hard work when we enjoy their books. That's why I write reviews on my website. Supporting one another. By the way, I've really enjoyed your devotions. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Loretta. I am glad you have enjoyed my devotion books. Being able to write for our Lord is a blessing. Thank you so much for writing reviews supporting authors.

      Delete
  2. Susan,

    Thank you for this article. Sending thank you notes has pretty much disappeared from our habits but it is something I continue to do fairly often. Also I write reviews--over 1,100 Amazon reviews and over 700 reviews on Goodreads. It's a simple way we can support each other as authors.

    Terry
    author of Book Proposals That $ell, 21 Secrets To Speed Your Success (Revised Edition)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking for all the authors you have written a review for, we thank you so much for your acknolegement of of work. Thank you Terry.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize how important reviews were until I became an author. Now I try and write a review for the books I read, one, because I know how it makes me feel when someone tells me they like my books, and 2, it helps authors out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful Patricia, I know every author appreciates your reviews.

    ReplyDelete