Pages

November 13, 2013

From Spark to Submission


By R. H. Ramsey


In the space between dreaming and creating, there is a place designed for connecting. To me, this space is vital; perhaps the most important part of the process. Although inspiration and flowing thoughts are magical, it can be frustrating when the pages are blank for hours and days.

Moments of inspiration are tiny sparks. My ritual, like many other writers, involves intense brainstorming, music, jotting down notes. I struggle with many things, such as loathing what I write and convincing myself not to share. I find it nearly impossible to pick which story should be told. I prefer to work on multiple projects at once.

To me, the process is ongoing. There is no definite beginning or ending for me. The pressures of word count, outlines and writer's block have no place in my writing formula.

As character traits bud and blossom in one story, another book is being handed out for critiques and feedback. There is a third story swirling, and I do not dare silence it; writing is one thing I refuse to force or stifle.  Life is happening inspiration is everywhere. There are sounds and scenes to describe at every moment. If I feel as if the story is not coming together the way I would like – without force –I daydream.

Instead of expecting the story to unfold "naturally,” I utilize the space of the daydream. I place myself there, in every day conflicts, with my characters. I feel the chills of suspenseful moments, the burning of the eyes when tears form. Keeping these feelings nearby, so that there is an ongoing connection, I am determined to keep the flow strong.

I feel that it is okay to work out of order, building your story around the events you visualize, adding these things to future chapters. Switching your focus to the excitement of a new story can be refreshing. Why not rekindle the spark by visiting new ideas and bringing that positive energy back to the current project?

Next, the part of the process no writer should bypass: feedback. And when the time comes to reread what I have written, I grasp for something I can be content with. I tell myself: I've completed this, I've gotten feedback, made necessary adjustments – it is time to put my art on display.

Writing and completing novels has been a passion of mine since 2005. I shared my work with persons outside my family for the first time in 2012. I never thought I would share.  Now, I cannot imagine not sharing. Through this process, I've received reviews I can be proud of. I've submitted to a publisher and found a home for my books.

I know that there are writers with astounding talents, beyond my own abilities or gift, and my expectations for myself are humble. I only pray the sparks on the horizon will one day become fireworks.
___________________________________________________________________
R. H.Ramsey has completed several novels, four novels near completion and five short stories.  She has three self-published books: Just Beneath the Surface I, Undone, and Into the Atmosphere, with many more to come. Just Beneath the Surface 2: Landon's story will be published at the end of 2014. Her books have been acquired by an indie publisher. Just Beneath the Surface 2: Landon's Story is her current work in progress.With a passion for people, helping and learning, she hopes to continue in her quest of learning from and inspiring others. Connect with RH Ramsey: http://arirjames.wordpress.com  http://facebook.com/authoranisola



No comments:

Post a Comment