Pages

February 2, 2022

Writing and Vision

 



                                                                           
Heidi Gray McGill


I’m super excited to share about my newest release, Dial E for Endearment, especially since February is Low Vision Awareness Month.

Everly, the main character in Dial E for Endearment and I have something in common, but it may not be what you’d expect.

I’m an author of Christian Historical Fiction and Contemporary Romance, and the retired Director and Founder of an ESL program. I regularly walk 12 plus miles a week in my neighborhood, care for my grandsons as often as possible, scrapbook, read voraciously, cook but do not bake, and am legally blind. That last phrase was difficult for me to say out loud not that long ago.

Vision loss does not discriminate.

It is generally estimated that Retinitis Pigmentosa affects roughly 1 in 4,000 people. My diagnosis in 2001 of this rare eye disease was devastating. There is no cure, and there is no surgery. But that does not mean there is no hope. Those who do not know me well often don’t realize I have low vision. As humans, we are amazingly adaptable, and I do a pretty good job covering up my disability. My friends have learned to watch out for me and alert me to potential pitfalls, some better than others, which is always good for a laugh.

Being blind is certainly not something I would have chosen, but it does not define me.


When I wrote Dial E For Endearment, I purposed in my heart to shed light on blindness in a lighthearted, relatable fashion.

In my book, Everly has discovered fulfillment, but not love, at least not for her—not even from her mother. She wants a man who will open her eyes to everything she cannot see to make her feel more than just the girl with the white cane.

I use a white cane when I am out and about on my own, but I’m usually with another person who helps guide me. One of the most significant challenges in writing this book was ensuring Everly acted and responded in a way that would resonate with other white cane users. Everly’s personality is upbeat, yet she carries the burden of a poor relationship with her mother. Being authentic and realistically portraying life is essential to me, so I had to do some soul searching and people watching to understand human nature better.

I also share my faith in Jesus Christ through my writing, fleshed out through the story’s characters. Although my book is not evangelistic, it does show how Jesus Christ can be an integral part of life and how leaning on Him can bring tremendous peace and fulfillment.

I’d love for you to join me on this fun adventure and see for yourself that God does not discriminate. You’ll laugh your way through mishaps—most of which may have happened to me at some point. But most of all, you’ll learn that we ALL have value, and that includes YOU.



Heidi is an optimist who chooses to find the silver lining in life’s clouds of doubt. This plays out in her writing. Her ability to seamlessly weave scripture into the lives of her characters will uplift and encourage you, while her masterful storytelling will keep you turning page after page and wishing for more.

Heidi lives with her husband of thirty years near Charlotte, NC. When she isn’t writing, you will find her outside playing with her two grandsons, walking, scrapbooking, reading, cooking, traveling, or finding an excuse to have an outing with a girlfriend… as long as they’re driving.

If you’d like to connect with Heidi, here are a few ways:

Website: http://heidimcgill822089357.wordpress.com/author/

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/author/heidigraymcgill

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/choosingjoynovels/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/20851872.Heidi_Gray_McGill

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/heidi-gray-mcgill?follow=true

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorHeidiGrayMcGill

All Author: https://allauthor.com/author/heidigraymcgill/

FREE BOOK with Newsletter sign up: https://heidimcgill822089357.wordpress.com/contact/

1 comment:

  1. Airport Transfer service from City Airport Taxis. Book your private airport transfers online, for reliable transportation service at competitive, all-inclusive prices:www.croydoncar.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete