Pages

October 9, 2019

Pantser Writing Works for Me



By Annette Miller


I write paranormal romance, sub-genre superhero romance. There are not only superheroes, but also fairies, gargoyles, magic, and one cyborg. I like to have different heroes and heroines. Fairy tales were a huge part of my childhood and I was in trouble at school for daydreaming. I'm also a sucker for a happy ending.

When I write, I have to listen to music. A lot of my inspiration comes from music. I have all types of genres on my mp3 player. I go from new age and smooth jazz, to hard rock and boy bands. It was a hard rock song that gave me the internal conflict for the hero in my upcoming fourth book.

I usually try to write in my office, but my husband is a disabled Air Force veteran. so now, I listen to music and sit on the couch so I can see if he needs something. I can also ask his help if I'm having a plot or character problem.

I connect with other authors online and in my local writing groups. I'm also a member of the Romance Writers of America and kept my membership with my New Jersey chapter. I attend their conference every October to make new friends and to support others in my genre. I enjoy connecting with other writers. Writing is a solitary job and we all need the support of our peers. Besides, brainstorming sessions are fun.

My characters are taken from different things. Most were taken from a game we used to play. I find as I continue to write more books, the secondary characters are inspired by actors and, believe it or not, wrestling superstars. Three characters in my upcoming fourth book were inspired by my three favorite professional wrestling superstars.

I write for The Wild Rose Press. I've been one of their authors since November 2013. They contracted my Angel Haven series on the second book. I had a bit of a hard time between books three and four, but I'm happy to say book four should be out soon. The Wild Rose Press is a small press, but they great to work for. They're willing to work with new authors and their entire staff is great at what they do.

I'm still learning marketing, but I'm getting better at it. I can be found on Facebook, Goodreads, Twitter, Instagram, Bookbub, and I have an Amazon author page. It's a learning process, but I'm getting there. Being on SWM is a wonderful opportunity.

I usually have the plot worked out in my head before I start writing. I'm what is known as a pantser. I've tried plotting on numerous occasions and that procedure doesn't seem to work for me. I'm better when I just start writing. However, even though the main plot will stay the same, everything else will change. This is why I gave up plotting. I can go with the flow of the story. I can fix any holes or problems when I go back and edit.

The books I currently have available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Novel, Inc, and Books A Million are Night Angel, Bedeviled Angel, and An Angel's Heart. I also have a novella out that is only available as an ebook from those same retailers. WWW.Cupid is my novella and it place fourth in the short paranormal category in the International Digital Awards in 2017. The third book in my series, An Angel's Heart, finaled in the American Fiction Awards in 2018.
_________________________________________________________
Originally from Baltimore, MD, Annette Miller married an Air Force man a year out of high school, getting the chance to see Germany and most of the United States. Always a fan of science fiction, fantasy, and horror novels, she didn't discover romance until her oldest son was two. Then, she couldn't get enough. Her husband retired from the military and after reading so much paranormal and seeing all the hero movies, she decided romance and superheroes went together. That's when her Angel Haven series was born and the rest, as they say, is history. Annette has been a member of the Romance Writers of America and the New Jersey Romance Writers since 2001. She is currently the president of Writing in the Bluff, a romance writing group in Memphis, TN. She is also a member of Malice in Memphis, a mystery writers group. Her third book, An Angel's Heart, finaled in the American Fiction Awards in July, 2018. Her novella, www.cupid, placed fourth in the International Digital Awards in October, 2017. Her Social Media links ar https://www.annettemillerauthor.com/    wildrosepress.com



No comments:

Post a Comment