Pages

July 15, 2019

Writing with Purpose-Part Two


By Randy Kay

Today, in part 2 of “Writing with Purpose,” I’m writing a fiction book about a character who happens upon an evil plot, and this brings my character to a moral conundrum that challenges his faith. While this book represents a departure from my works of non-fiction and self-help articles, it remains faithful to my purpose. Indeed, I’ve tested the prototype manuscript with sample readers, and some have made comments like “it changed my life’s direction” or “gave me a clearer sense of my own inner conflicts.”
At times, we become prisoners of our thoughts, which is why writing with purpose can be cathartic. Even if one person is positively affected by your writing, it’s a success. If it entertains, great. If it edifies, BRAVO!  When we begin unpacking what we hold inside of our hearts we can experience a creative transformation that transitions thought to impact. It is a restorative process. Writing your feelings, passions, and thoughts to express whatever has been a burden to your soul can be a tremendous release. It creates a point where you can begin again with transparency.
The beauty of writing with purpose is that it caused me to experience a deeper reflection of my life. I analyzed situations from a perspective I was incapable of accomplishing years prior. In a sense, it was as if maturity helped me to understand my potential, my identity, and how experiences formed my personal mission statement. I rejoiced with the vision that was released within me, and I now use it to mentor others so that I’m not just “hanging out” in life.
Writing motivates and inspires people in many ways. The articles and books that I write are always qualified by their ability to add positive value to the lives of others. My writing is meant to help people learn something that I can offer or that others struggle with in their career and life. Basically, it’s our responsibility to share what we know to help others avoid unnecessary conflict, devastating failure, or simply gain insight about something that can enhance their ability to thrive. Writing is very much about teaching people the wisdom born through our own life.
Here are a few ways to write with purpose by asking these questions:
·         “What has caused me to fail, and what did I learn that I can pass onto others?”
·          “What’s my unique voice? Am I a problem solver, a motivator, an empathizer, or an entertainer?”
·         “When someone reads what I write, what should that person do differently, or how should that person feel differently?”
·         “What is the legacy I wish to leave behind – something that will outlast me?”
·         “What can I learn through my writing?” Now, turn that around and use that as the underlying purpose for your writing.
·         “What is my greatest pain point, and how did I turn that pain into gain?”
__________________________________________________ 
Randy Kay is the Chief Learning Officer of PACEsetters (http://pacesetters.training), a leader in human development and the first to introduce a validated course on thriving skills. He is also Chairman and CEO of TenorCorp, a diversified strategic development firm. Randy Kay is an author of six books, and the author of Dying to Meet Jesus, due for release January 7, 2020 by Chosen, a division of Baker Publishing. Earlier in his career he served as CEO of a biotech company and a media company, commercial executive with companies like Johnson & Johnson, and chairman or board member for numerous philanthropic organizations. Since graduating from Northwestern University, Kay has trained over one million persons and has been the leader for over twenty different organizations. His first book, Daily Keys to Success, covers every topic related to success - day-by-day - 366 topics brimming with ideas, tools, and tactics for living life to the fullest, and includes the collective experience of generations of success experts through one comprehensive book arranged by calendar day for daily growth. Subsequent books include The Power to Thrive, based on a 30-year multidisciplinary study of exceptional leaders; and, The 22 Most Important Things.Kay has written for magazines including Forbes, Inc., and the Wall Street Journal, and has been interviewed by various broadcasting channels across the United States Training Website: http://pacesetters.training Author Blog: http://randykayauthor.com  Podcast: http://randykaypodcast.com



No comments:

Post a Comment