Pages

February 20, 2019

How to Get Started on that New Book: That’s the Hard Part



By B. J. Robinson, Author of the Azalea Plantation Series


But it doesn’t have to be! The first things I do are pray, reflect, and visualize. I have a title and a cover photo before I start. Where do I get ideas? From the news, reading other authors’ books and reviewing them, and using life experiences.

For example, my new release is titled A Southern Spring: A Story from a Backyard Swing. I read a book titled A Southern Season: Stories from a Front Porch Swing that propelled the idea for my latest book. In this way, I am helping fellow authors, and they help me. I left a review for them on Amazon and truly enjoyed each of their stories. Linda W. Yezak's "Ice Melts in Spring," tells the story of a woman who lost her husband when his boat capsized. Eva Marie Everson's "Lillie Beth in Summer" is about a young widow who lost her husband in Vietnam. Eva was my writing mentor, and I have read and reviewed most of her novels. In Claire Fullerton's "Through an Autumn Window," a daughter returns home for her mother's funeral. In Ane Mulligan's "A Magnolia Blooms in Winter, "A young Southern girl returns home from New York City at her mother's request for help with a local church play. Their stories gave me kindling for my own. This is an example of how reading other authors’ work can help you and them at the same time, and to be successful in the writing world, you need to be able to work with other authors.

Many times I get ideas social media or my own life experiences. For the cover of my latest one, I photographed my swing, which has two hearts on the back of it. Everyone says they love the cover. I didn’t have a lot of money to spend on one, so I was able to use my own picture for the cover. I used my own life experience in writing and using my swing as a writing spot. As a Southern girl born and reared in Louisiana, I also used my life experience.

Take a step by snapping pictures you could possibly use as your own cover. Be willing to work with other authors and read and review them. As my mother always said, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything. If you go around leaving reviews of ones after all the hard work an author goes through to write a novel, you are only hurting yourself, as my mother might say, “cutting off your nose to spite your face.” The more you read other authors, the more ideas you will gain and reading them will help improve your writing. Be positive and be encouraged that you, too, can hone your skill and craft while helping other authors, and you can write your own novel.

Blessings from a Southern writer,
_________________________________________________________________________ 
Best-Selling, Award-winning, Multi-published Author, B. J.Robinson is mom to a golden retriever and a husky with a husband, five children, thirteen grandchildren, and three great grandchildren, and a love for writing. She has over 33 numerous titles for readers to choose from written in various genres from inspirational, Christian, contemporary romance, romantic suspense, and mystery with each title a new adventure in life’s God-given journey. You’ll also find short stories amongst her work. Won’t you journey with her through life’s obstacles and enjoy characters you’ll root for as they fight tough decisions in everyday life. Social Media links: https://barbarajrobinson.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment