Pages

July 3, 2017

Negative Thinking Is a Writing Roadblock


By Tracie Miles


Did you know negative thoughts can stand in the way of your writing success?
           
I recently released a new book, Unsinkable Faith: God-filled Strategies for Transforming the Way You Think, Feel and Live, and although this wasn’t the first book I’ve written, it was by far the hardest. Not because I didn’t understand the topic or because my passion for writing had changed, but because my negative thoughts were standing in the way of my writing.

I was going through a very difficult time in my life. As a result, my emotions were controlling me and toxic negative thoughts were running rampant. It was in the midst of this difficult season I was tasked with writing this manuscript. Instead of being excited about this new project, I was paralyzed with negative thinking. My mind was filled with thoughts such as “this is impossible,” “I’ll never be able to think straight enough to write this chapter,” “I don’t have any words to write,” “I’ll never finish this in time,” and “I don’t think I can do this.”

Yet, I had a deadline looming, so I kept pushing through. Instead of giving up, I decided to God-up, asking Him to help me be acutely aware of each negative and self-condemning thought that came to mind, because every one of them was a discouragement tactic the enemy was using to keep me from following God’s call on my life. The more I persevered and focused on letting God change my thinking habits, the more I could see the book slowly taking shape.

When I finished writing, a surge of relief came over me. Even more exciting was the surge of joy in my heart as I recognized how God had helped me overcome negativity instead of letting it stand in the way of writing what He had laid on my heart.

As writers, we all struggle with thoughts that can prevent us from seeing our dreams become reality. Whether negative thinking stems from personal adversity causing you to feel as if you’re sinking emotionally, mentally and even spiritually, or whether it’s from self-condemning and critical thoughts convincing you that you are unqualified, uncreative or unequipped, such negativity will stand in the way of your writing success.

The only way to push past this obstacle is to invite God to take over your thoughts and transform the way you are thinking. Once we change our thoughts, we can better control our emotions, which in turn changes our lives – and our ability to write from the heart.

So how do you begin to change your thoughts?

Recognize your negative thoughts. Ask God to help you be aware of negative thinking, especially when it is becoming a roadblock or destroying your confidence.

Reject your negative thoughts. Once you’re aware of them, refuse to think them, much less believe them.

Replace your negative thoughts with something positive or more true. If you’re thinking you can’t finish a project, replace that with “I can do this in God’s strength.” When you’re thinking you’re not qualified, replace that thought with “God called me to it, so I can do it.”

When our thoughts are positive, our hearts will be too, and writing will more naturally flow.
_____________________________________________________________________________ 
Tracie Miles is passionate about inspiring women to deepen their relationship with Christ and live a life of joy, peace and happiness despite their circumstances.  She is a speaker and writer with Proverbs 31 Ministries and enjoys sharing at women’s events around the country. She is the author of three books, including her latest release, Unsinkable Faith: God-Filled Strategies to Transform the Way You Think, Feel, and Live. Learn more about Tracie Miles by visiting www.traciemiles.com, following her on Facebook (p31traciemiles) or via Twitter (@traciewmiles).


No comments:

Post a Comment