Pages

April 25, 2013

"The World is a Book"



By Doyne Phillips, Managing Editor for Southern Writers Magazine


"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” St Augustine. This is one of my favorite quotes. I have a large lit world globe on a stand in my office with this quote engraved on a brass plate on the frame. Having been fortunate enough to travel I understand it. I use it to encourage my children and grandchildren to do the same. We point out the places they have been in this world, mark them on the globe and review the quote. The more places they see the more they realize the number of places they have yet to see.

As I read the short stories submitted to Southern Writers Magazine’s Short Story Fiction Contest, Saint Augustine’s quote kept returning to me. In each story you will be taken into another world. A world brought to you by some of the most talented authors of this day. As I read I wanted to continue traveling in that world. There is page after page of passion, delight and sorrow. Stopping at one page was never considered. My travel continued to the end. 

The many stories submitted showcased the talents of writers from throughout the country. The thirteen finalists chosen for the Southern Writers Edition of Short Tales features the Winner and the 2nd and 3rd Place Winners on the cover. Tucked inside this issue are their short stories, each a masterpiece in its own right. Each story has photo and bio of the author. I think you will be impressed.

Southern Writers Edition of Short Tales invites you travel in the world of some of the top authors of Short Story Fiction of our day.  Click on our website at http://www.southernwritersmagazine.com/ and pick up a copy of Southern Writers Edition of Short Tales. I promise you will not stop at one page.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment