Pages

November 5, 2012

Writers Create


By Doreen McNicol

“My mind turned by anxiety, or other cause, from its scrutiny of blank paper, is like a lost child–wandering the house, sitting on the bottom step to cry.”― Virginia Woolf, A Writer's Diary
The true fear comes when the author returns to the work and the words just will not reveal themselves. The silence of the void within them is so loud it deafens the thoughts. It truly is the most terrifying fear with every writer. Writers who cannot breathe life into a story, feels only agony. Nothing else holds passion for them in the same way ever again.
Writers are creators. From the blankness of that paper or computer screen, worlds and realities begin to grow and bloom with every word added. A single blade of grass is painted with crisp, colorful words. A child’s giggle is lifted to the ear of the reader with the building prose. There is a seduction underway that only an author can experience. The words seem to rise from the paper or screen, slipping away to be replaced with vivid imagery and sensations. The world being created is becoming so real that when the scribe tries to put aside the work a void is created within them. The passion for writing will demand attention again within minutes. It’s such a powerful, intimate relationship that the writer wants nothing more than to share it with the rest of the real world.


Every author must find their own way back to the flow of words on their own. The first and foremost thing a writer should do is stop and take a breath. Take a moment to remember that it is within you to create everything you want. Begin with a single word and merely let it guide you. Do not commit it to the rest of your work if you decide later, it doesn’t fit, but just let it go. Let the adventure return to you without the fear. Do it for the most important reader you have. You.

_______________________________________________________________________
I started writing as a teenager. I started just to see if I could do it and before I knew it my first story was 130 pages long with a number of my friends and a few of their mothers as my readers. I finished my first full length novel when I was 19 with a pencil and paper. My next novel was completed a year later. I continued with a few other novels after that. Yes, (LOL) all hand written. My typing is horribleI did not write for the next few years as I moved around from city to city, living in Winnipeg, Calgary and finally settling again in Kelowna, British Columbia. I eventually returned to my love of writing and soon sought to publish. My first published novel, 'Rachel Wicks' came out in June of 2011 with Solstice Publishing with its sequel due out soon entitled, 'Rachel Blackburn'. Along with writing I enjoy exploring my creative side through photography and painting. I enjoy reading about history and travelling to historical sites.I am with the Belcastro Literary Agency  http://www.belcastroagency.com/  My novel’s website:www.rachelwicks.com  My Author’s website:www.doreenmcnicol.com Solstice Publishing:http://www.solsticepublishing.com/rachel-wicks/ My novel’s facebook site:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachel-Wicks/167428419984646?ref=hl

No comments:

Post a Comment