Pages

October 28, 2011

What Will You Get to Do Today?

by Shannon Milholland, Social Media Director

My kindergartner crept downstairs at precisely 5 am Wednesday morning. Wearing her pajamas and a Cheshire worthy grin, excitement danced on her face. "Mommy, today is the day. I get to do so many things I've never done before. I get to ride on a school bus for the first time. I get to go on my first field trip."

Like a grenade aimed at bullet proof glass, her energy infiltrated my groggy heart. My immediate reaction was to ponder how my efforts to build a platform would revolutionize if I eradicated "I have to" and adopted "I get to".

What if today's mantra was....

  • I get to write a new blog post
  • I get to schedule tweets
  • I get to connect with someone new on LinkedIn
By flipping the switch in my brain from "I have to" to "I get to" tasks that once seemed like drudgery become delight. Okay maybe delight is a stretch but would you settle for doable? I know I would.

Make a list of three things you want to do today to build your platform as an author. Powered by the "get to" you'll get to build a more effective platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment